Friday 24 June 2011

Of Wet Things And Reading

Nowadays it's become cheaper to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes; curling up in bed and reading a good book. You don't even have to buy books anymore. If you're not bothered by piracy, you can go online and type your favorite author's name and just download his books from Torrent sites. After that, you can curl up in bed with your IPad.

I must admit, though, that printed matter has its unique charms. Reading a book on print, the smell of book paper and the feel of the paper on your fingertips as you turn the page has its perks.

It's like a rainy day or a cup of hot chocolate. It brings back memories of childhood for me. I go back to those sick days or those stormy days that I stayed home from school discovering the newest exploits of Frank and Joe Hardy. It takes me back to the quirky kids from Judy Bloom's world. I remember the adventures of Frances Hodgson Burnett's heroes and heroines.

I don't know what it is about rainy days that make me crave hot chocolate and a good book, but I do. In a way, all these reasons more than make up for the price of a printed book. Honestly, that little window into youth is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment